Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Horizons BIPOC Issue - Department of Family Medicine - Global Health Program Newsletter - 2021 - Issue 1
Dean Philpott congratulates the team who have put together this terrific edition of Horizons that includes so many challenging, personal reflections from our colleagues in the Queen’s Faculty of Health Sciences.
Dean’s Action Table on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The Dean’s Action Table on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (DAT-EDI) has a mandate to study, promote and advise on efforts to create and sustain a more equitable, diverse, inclusive, accessible, and culturally safe community for students, staff and faculty in the Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS). In doing so, the DAT-EDI will provide a means to identify and coordinate EDI activities and initiatives across the faculty.
DAT-EDI Executive membership:
Shall be comprised of 14 members:
- Dean (Chair)
- Vice-Dean, Education
- Vice-Dean, Clinical
- One (1) representative from each of the seven (7) DAT-EDI working groups
- FHS Faculty Representative
- Black Learner Representative
- Indigenous Learner Representative
- LGBTQIA2S+ Learner Representative
- Representative for persons living with disabilities
- The working group representatives shall be recommended by the members of each group and approved by the Chair for a two (2) year term. Each lead shall have an alternate.
- The Chair shall appoint the FHS Faculty Representative, Black Learner Representative, Indigenous Learner Representative and LGTBQIA2S+ Learner Representative and a representative for persons living with disabilities, each for a two (2) year term. Each representative appointed by the Chair shall have an alternate.
DAT-EDI Working Groups
- EDI Curriculum across the FHS
- Research and EDI
- Professional Development
- Culture and Community
- Outreach and Summer Programs
- EDI for Admissions
- Recruitment, Retention and Mentorship
Working Group Mandate:
- Meet monthly
- Select a representative to report to and participate in the DAT-EDI Executive Table
- Complete an environmental scan of current FHS activities relevant to the group theme
- Study best practices relevant to the group theme
- Develop and document recommendations and metrics, that will be used in the development of an EDI Strategic Plan for the FHS
- Explore opportunities for educational scholarship, writing, and other forms of communication based on their work
Faculty of Health Sciences Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Fund
The Faculty of Health Sciences Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Fund has been set up to launch and develop governance, policies, and programming that promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in five distinct areas in the Faculty of Health Sciences that require an examination from an EDI lens:
Students, Curriculum, Research, Professional Development, and Culture.
The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion fund will allow the faculty a chance to train more young people from under-represented groups, such as Indigenous and Black Canadians – as health professionals. The funds will initially be used to launch the following programs to improve EDI in the faculty.
- Establishing the Dean’s Action Table on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Creating new pathways to increase the enrolment of underrepresented groups
- Developing outreach health education programs and mentorship opportunities for underrepresented communities (e.g. high school students and youth)
- Supporting events and opportunities for student-led EDI Initiatives
- Decolonization and diversification of the curriculum
- Skills based training in cultural humility, conflict resolution, human rights, anti-colonialism, anti-racism, and anti-oppression