Skip to main content


Registration 2020-2021

When is my registration timeslot?

For information on your registration timeslot, please see this website from the Faculty of Arts and Science

What do I do if I am missing a pre-requisite?

If you are missing a pre-requisite you will need to wait until Open Enrollment.  Students with the required prerequisite get first priority for the course.  After Open Enrollment, if there is still space you may request permission from the instructor and based on other courses and experience, they may feel that you will be able to succeed in the course without the prerequisite.  An email from the instructor would need to be sent to with the course and your student number included.

Please note that pre-requisite overrides are at the discretion of the instructor, and cannot be granted by the Undergraduate Office.

How do I register for a remote course that would regularly be offered on campus?

For some courses, you will need to switch from “undergraduate” to “undergraduate online” from the SOLUS drop down menu.

Are syllabi available?

Instructors are currently working on the final details of courses for Fall 2020, and so current syllabi are not yet available. We do have past syllabi available at the following links:

Be sure to check both the “on campus” and “undergraduate online” career options in SOLUS to ensure you are seeing all courses offered this year.

Some courses are not offered every year. If you see a course in the Academic Calendar that is not listed in SOLUS through either “career” in SOLUS, it is not offered this year.

What is the “AAR”?

The AAR is the Academic Advisement Report. It is a handy tool that overviews what you have satisfied so far with respect to your degree plan requirements. You can learn more about it here:

I need registration help—what do I do?

The best place for support with SOLUS is the Faculty of Arts and Science. You can learn more here:

There is space in a course, how come I can’t register?

Some courses are reserved for students who require the course for their degree plan (concentrators).

NOTE:  All reserve capacities will expire for open enrollment. If you meet the pre-requisites for a course, and there is space, you will be able to register at that time.

Can you explain waitlists?

SOLUS has a waitlist process so that you can be placed on a waitlist in the event a spot opens up. You can go on a waitlist prior to open enrollment. If there is space at open enrollment, you will be automatically enrolled into the course (as long as you have space in your schedule).

For more information on waitlists, please see here:

Why are winter courses listed as “TBD” in SOLUS?

Queen’s is working hard with public health to make sure that we are safe, and have the best timetable possible in the winter. As soon as these details are finalized, they will be made available. Please view the winter schedule as a ‘list of courses to be offered’ that term. You can and should proceed to register in winter courses with the understanding that scheduling details (e.g., times and locations) may change, and you will have an opportunity to make adjustments to their schedule later in the fall term if you need to. Details on how to make adjustments to your schedule will be communicated once this process is finalized.

We know that this is strange—it is for us, too. We are with you every step of the way, and will be communicating widely through our undergraduate newsletter as we get information.

Where can I go if I need non-academic support?

Although we are working remotely, our student services are still available. Below are some of these resources that may be helpful:

  • Mental health appointments are available remotely via Therapy Assistance Online (TAO) for students who need to speak to a counsellor.
  • For general counselling inquiries, email
  • Medical appointments are available remotely (phone and online) for some requests. For general health inquiries, email
  • Health lifestyle appointments are available remotely for students who want help changing a health behaviour. For general inquiries, email
  • “TAO” is Therapy Assistance Online. This is an interactive tool for Queen’s students. You can access it here:
  • Empower Me is a 24/7 phone service for crisis situations and scheduled sessions that allows students to connect with qualified counsellors, consultants, and life coaches for a variety of issues. 1-844-741-6389 You can also log in to the Empower Me website and use "Studentcare" as the password or download additional Empower Me student assistance tools on the iAspiria mobile app. Enter "Studentcare" as the Login ID and select "Student" in the drop-down menu. Good2Talk for post-secondary mental health support - call1-866-925-5454, available 24/7 or text GOOD2TALKON/ALLOJECOUTEON to 686868

When is the Plan Selection Process in SOLUS? 

  • May 27th-June 2nd

When is the Change of Plan web page available for upper year students? 

  • May 27th -June 2nd

What happens if I am on the Pending List? 

  • We will make our decisions from June 3rd to 12th

When will I get my enrollment appointment time? 

  • In July you will be able to access the Student Centre to view your enrollment time.

When will the timetable be available? 

  • June 8th was the original pre-COVID-19 date

When can I begin to load courses to my shopping cart? 

  • July 9.  However, remember that loading courses in your shopping cart does not mean that you are in the course.  You must register for the course starting with your enrollment appointment time and going to the end of enrollment July 28.

When is Class Selection I (Enrollment Restrictions enforced)? 

  • July 16-25 - see your enrollment appointment time on SOLUS.

When is Class Selection II (Open, no Restrictions enforced)? 

  • July 24-July 31

When does the next Open Enrollment open? 

  • August 18 You will be allowed to add up to 18 units per term.

Registration Hiatus for administrative staff: 

  • August 3rd. At this time there is nothing we can do to help you with courses etc.  Please do not contact staff at this time.

When is Tuition due?

  • Tuition is due September 1st along with any outstanding debts!

Where do I find the Life Sciences and Biochemistry Program Office?

  • Room 815, Botterell Hall

Who do I email my questions to?

If I don’t see the answer to my question here, what do I do?

  • Email us.  See Contact.

I didn’t select all my courses and now the system will not allow me to add anymore courses. What do I do?

  • You will now have to wait until open enrollment.

Can I be added before the open enrollment period as I want to be sure to get in the course?

  • No.

Will there still be room in the course if I have to wait until September?

  • There are no guarantees.

The system tells me I cannot take the course because I don’t have the pre-requisites, but I do have them. What do I do?

  • Email us and we will look at your situation and if you are able to take the course we will email you a permission number so you can add the course on SOLUS.

What if I took the pre-requisites over the summer and the marks are not showing on my transcript yet? How do I get in the course I want/need?

  • Once you have your unofficial mark, send this to us and we will give you a permission number so you can add the course on SOLUS. 

What do I do if two of the courses I want conflict? Is there a way that the schedule can be changed?

  • You will need to look at which of the courses is a core course to your program and ensure you take that course. The scheduling is done by the timetabling office and we cannot change it. 


  • First Step.  Go to SOLUS and run your Academic Advisement Report.  If you notice something is not satisfied and you feel it should be, come by the office and see Alana or Katherine.
  • Second Step.  Ensure you apply to graduate.


I am going into 4TH year and not sure how I choose my courses?

  • BCHM:  You will be pre-loaded to your course courses.
  • LISC: You will receive an email with a google document for you to pre-select your 4th year courses.  We hope this will happen in June.  We will ask for ALL pertinent information at that time.  Once courses have been assigned they will be pre-loaded.

 SUB-PLANS. I haven’t declared my sub-plan.  When do I do it?  

  • You will be asked to do it when you are submitting your 4th year course pre-selection.

 RESEARCH PROJECTS (499 or BCHM 421/422) I have a supervisor.  What do I do?

  • BCHM:  Please send an email to biochem@queensu.cawhen you have reached an agreement with a supervisor.
  • LISC: Please send an email to with your name, student number, supervisor, and which 499 project it will be (i.e. ANAT, EPID, CANC, MICR, NSCI, PATH, PHAR, PHGY).



I am going into 3rd year and not sure if my courses will be pre-loaded or not.

  • BCHM:  You are responsible to add your third year courses.
  • LISC SSP:  You are responsible to add your third year courses.  You need to ensure you choose the proper BCHM courses for the Sub-Plan you want to be in (ie. BCHM 310 or BCHM 315/316).  If you are not sure, then you should choose BCHM 310 to keep all your options open.

When can I switch from SSP to MAJ or MAJ to SSP?

  • Change of Plan happens beginning May 27th until July 10th
  • BCHM:  All students remain as a MAJ until a decision is made in 4th year and a research project is secured.

Can I go on exchange and stay in SSP?

  • Yes.  You can go on exchange as an SSP student. 
  • LISC:  The only impediment is if you cannot find an equivalent to BCHM 310 then you can only be in the sub-plan of Biomedical Sciences.  All other sub-plans require BCHM 310.

I am going on exchange.  What do I do?

  • First Step: Email or the following information:  name, student number, university you plan to attend, which term and/or terms you will be away.
  • Second Step: The Life Sciences and Biochemistry Program office will send you what courses have been previously assessed and their equivalency.  This is a good starting point for determining if your approved exchange school has compatible courses that will work for your plan requirements.
  • Third Step:  The IPO has  information on possible elective courses that have been approved for Queen’s equivalency, listed by country and partner exchange university on their website:     
  • Fourth Step:  If there are other science courses that you are hoping to take on exchange, it is the student’s responsibility to provide a full electronic course outline (please do not just send a link) to our office for review.  This information will be added to our data base and will assist other students planning on going on exchange (this year or in future). 
  • Fifth Step: Confirm to our office by email all the courses that you plan to take on exchange with your understanding of how they will transfer back. 
  • Upon return from exchange:  Only if there are issues and concerns about your fourth year courses after your exchange, please arrange to set up a meeting with Dr. Winn, Associate Dean and Life Sciences. 

 BIOL 205 - I did not take BIOL 205.  Do I still need to take it?

  • If you became a LISC or BCHM student before September 2016 you are required to complete BIOL 205 for your degree.

How do I find a tutor?

  • Send an email to or and tell us which course you require a tutor.  We will send you a list of graduate students who are willing to tutor.  You contact the tutor and discuss your needs and come to an agreement on payment.

I wish to have something put into the weekly update.  What do I do?

  • Send your request as a paragraph to either or   We DO NOT send attachments with the weekly update.  Please have your request in by 9:00 am on Monday mornings.