A return to campus life
It is hard to believe that this will be my eighth September as the Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences. Wasn’t it just yesterday that I wrote my first blog! There are a number of traditions and annual events that fall during this month, but my favourite is welcoming of new students and faculty to our campus. There’s a palpable buzz at this time of year for all of us at the Queen’s campus, or for that matter, all around Kingston. I love it.
My first order of business last Monday morning when I returned from summer vacation was, perhaps symbolically, welcoming our 100 first-year medical students to Queen’s. This morning, I did the same for our newest group of students in the School of Rehabilitation Therapy, and our School of Nursing students join our campus today as well. We are, of course, thrilled to have so many bright and engaged students to teach and learn from over the next several years.
We are also delighted to have many new faculty join our community this month. Over the course of the summer, we have continued to announce many new appointments. Given that many of you were likely also enjoying some time off, it bears repeating the list of appointment highlights. Congratulations to our new and continuing heads of departments, to new chairs, a new associate dean, and to Vice-Dean Finlayson who was reappointed for a second term.
- Dr. Michael Green appointed as the Brian Hennen Chair and Head of the Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Queen’s University
- Dr. Robert Campbell appointed as the inaugural David Barsky Chair in Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, Queen’s University
- Louise M. Winn appointed as Associate Dean, Life Sciences and Biochemistry, Faculty of Health and Sciences, Queen’s University (beginning July 2018)
- Dr. José Pereira appointed as the inaugural Dr. Gillian Gilchrist Chair in Palliative Care Research, Queen’s University and Lakeridge Health
- Dr. Jenna Healey as the Jason A. Hannah Chair in the History of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Queen’s University
- Dr. Michael Adams reappointed as the Head of the Department of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, Queen’s University
- Dr. Marcia Finlayson reappointed as Vice-Dean of Health Sciences and Director of the School of Rehabilitation Therapy
I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you all back for the 2017-18 academic year. The faculty leadership is very excited about the successes of our three schools. Collectively we are delivering some of the most advanced health care education in the country. We will soon announce a breakthrough in the research funding we have achieved. And, I predict in this year, our work on strong partnerships will yield new and innovation approaches to research and scholarship.
Even though I’ve said it a thousand times, I do mean it; please stop by the Macklem House, my door is always open.