Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ on keyboard

I chose the MHPE program as it will help me to reach my goal of becoming an educator to aspiring health professionals. The program’s flexible design allows me to continue my professional commitments, while studying to expand my role within my profession.


Ashley Fraser, MHPE, RN, BScN

Who can apply?

Admission standards reflect the requirements stated by the Queen’s University School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (SGSPA) ( Those interested in applying to the MHPE program should refer to the SGSPA for up-to-date graduate school requirements. Tips for preparing to apply can be found at


Who should apply for this program?

This program is designed for health professionals who want to learn to teach better or conduct educational research.  It is also meant for people currently undertaking health professions training (internship, practicum, residency) who have yet to enter the field.


What are the grade requirements to apply?

Applicants must be graduates from an accredited, baccalaureate-granting university with a minimum of a second-class standing of a B or 73%.


What GPA is required for the program?

A 3.0 GPA is required from the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs for acceptance to a graduate program. The MHPE program calculates your GPA from your last two academic years at an accredited university.


Will you consider an applicant with a lower GPA and extenuating circumstances?

Our program is competitive; however, we understand that extenuating circumstances may arise. We encourage applicants with extenuating circumstances to indicate this in the “Special Circumstances” section of the online School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs application, as well as on the Biographical Questionnaire.


Given your "B" average entry pre-requisite, how do you accredit foreign degrees?

When calculating an applicant’s GPA, we consider when a degree has been obtained at an international university and how the grading system may differ from Queen’s.


Can I apply to the program if I have a diploma but don’t have a degree?

No, an undergraduate degree is required to pursue our graduate degree program.


Am I eligible to apply if I graduate from a degree program in the summer?

Yes, you are eligible if you successfully graduate and meet the admission standards reflected by the requirements as stated by the Queen’s University School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (SGSPA) ( Your offer of admission, should you receive one, would be conditional upon graduating.


Do you have any prep courses for applicants who have been out of school for a while?

We don't have any prep courses. Since this program is tailored towards working professionals, we understand that you may have been out of university for a while. Our program is tailored to accommodate health professionals who are working full-time.


Are there additional requirements to apply?

Applicants must submit an email to the MHPE Graduate Assistant at with attachments of PDF versions of their current CV and a Statement of Interest to match academic and work experience with the objectives of the program. If English is not the first language, prospective students must provide English language test results.


How do I apply to the MHPE Program?

Visit our "How to Apply" page to learn about the steps involved in applying, as well as information regarding admission requirements and useful details for international applicants.

Is there an application fee?

Yes, there is a non-refundable School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (SGSPA) application fee of $110.


Do you accept late application submissions?

Once we have completed the selection process, we no longer accept applications for the MHPE program; however, we do encourage you to apply for next year's admissions process, which opens every September.


What transcripts do you require?

The School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (SGSPA) requires transcripts from all post-secondary academic institutions you attended. For all transcript-related inquiries, please get in touch with SGSPA directly at


My official transcript only indicates "Pass" or "Fail." I could get a transcript with grades, but it won't be considered official. What should I do?

You can use your official transcript (which only indicates “Pass” or “Fail”) to submit your application on the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (SGSPA) portal. This will be on SGSPA’s records as your official transcript. However, to calculate your GPA, you can send your unofficial transcript directly to when you submit your CV and Statement of Interest.


Can I upload an unofficial copy of my transcript to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs studies website?

Only official transcripts must be uploaded to the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs website. If you have an official hard copy in a sealed envelope and you open it to upload, this copy will not be accepted as the original sealed copy that is requested upon acceptance. Official transcripts can also be emailed from the issuing institution’s Registrar’s office to the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs ( for the first stage of the application process.


What if my transcript is from Queen’s University?

If you are attending or have attended Queen's University, you are not required to submit official transcripts for that degree. The School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs / MHPE Graduate Assistant will access the Queen’s transcript internally.


I applied to another program at Queen's University, do I need to upload my transcripts and referees again?

Yes. When you apply to different programs within Queen’s, you will need to upload your transcripts again through the SGSPA Online Application Portal and send your CV and Statement of Interest to, as each department requires this. If you applied to another program in the past 12 months, you could email the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs ( requesting that they use the same referees from your previous application for your MHPE application. Be sure to include your application number with this request.


What if my transcript(s) is from a foreign country?

You will need to have an official copy of this transcript notarized. This requires that you take your original transcript to a Notary Public and have official notarized copies made. These must have the original signature and seal of the Notary Public when submitted with your application.


If my transcript is in a language other than English, how do I upload my original transcript along with my translated English copy?

Transcripts in languages other than English must be accompanied by an English translation provided by the institution issuing the transcript. Translations are typically done by the university issuing the transcript. However, we would accept transcripts if they are translated and certified by an official Notary Public showing the stamp/signature of the Notary Public. Applicants should scan and save both the original copy in [the original language] as well as the English translation in a PDF file to upload as one document.


Do you require professional or academic references?

As part of the online application, you need to provide two (2) professional references.


Is there a work requirement?

There are no specific work requirements; however, we encourage you to discuss your health professional experience and/or interest in your Statement of Interest when submitting your application.


How competitive are your admissions?

Our program is competitive. We do not release admissions statistics, but we encourage all interested individuals to apply.


How many applicants do you accept each year?

We accept 10 to 40 students each academic year to begin in August.


When do admissions open/close?

Applications are open through the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs in September of each year. The deadline to apply is April 1st of each year. Preference will be given to those who apply by March 1st


Do you have early admissions?

No, currently, we do not have early admissions.


How do I check to see if my references and transcripts have been submitted?

You can check the status of your application and what documents, if any, have been submitted by logging into your online application at the Queen’s School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (SGSPA) Online Application Portal (, using your email and password.


When will I hear back about my application?

Admission decisions for completed applications will be e-mailed/mailed by late March/early April each year.

What makes the MHPE program unique?

Our graduate program fulfills a niche that is not currently being met in Canada as there are no other programs available to the health education community (e.g., dentists, doctors, massage therapists, nurses, nutritionists, occupational therapists, paramedics, physiotherapists, public health professionals, speech therapists, veterinarians, etc.) that are both course-based and competency-based.


Are all the courses offered online?

Five (5) of the eight (8) courses (HPE 802, 804, 803, 806 and 807) are completely online, with asynchronous sessions hosted through the Queen’s onQ learning management system and six (6) synchronous two-hour sessions per semester via Zoom on pre-determined dates and times.

 The first (HPE 801) and fifth (HPE 805) courses are offered in person at Queen’s in August during mandatory one-week summer intensives. The eighth and final course (HPE 898) is a capstone project.


What are the dates and times of the classes, and how often are classes held?

Six (6) synchronous classes per course are held via Zoom on the same pre-determined day of the week, at the same time of day. Class dates and times are provided to learners before the start of each course.


How many hours per week can I expect to spend on coursework?

In terms of time commitment, there is one (1) course per semester with approximately 5 – 10 hours per week of coursework, depending upon the learner (two hours of class time with an additional three to eight hours for assignments, papers, etc.).


Does the program run year-round for two (2) years?

Yes, the program runs year-round for two (2) years.


Can I take just one or two courses to start to see if I can manage the program requirements?

No, you must take the courses offered with your cohort in the order and timeline provided.


Can I accelerate through the program?

No. This program is a part-time online program with no full-time stream.


Is it a thesis-based master’s program?

No. It is a course-based master’s program.


What is involved in completing HPE 898: Capstone Project?

The capstone experience focuses on the scholarship of integration, implementation, and application. Learners will develop research skills to rigorously search for evidence on a clearly defined question, conduct a project, and present findings in a major paper. Learners will be guided by a faculty member at Queen’s University and/or a mentor based in practice. They will identify their project by the end of the first year to enable ethics and administrative approvals.  The capstone also includes additional deliverables such as a Teaching Perspectives Inventory, a Portfolio, and a Teaching Dossier.


Where can I find information about session dates?

To view term start and end dates, visit the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs sessional dates website at


What are the career prospects for new graduates?

Our program will assist with career progression through the ranks in health professions education settings and will better prepare academic health professionals to teach at the postsecondary level. Upon completion of our program, we anticipate our learners will be able to:

  • Situate themselves within the field of health professions education as both a scholarly discipline and a field of practice.
  • Interpret and apply each of the seven (7) competencies (health professions expert, communicator, collaborator, leader, health advocate, scholar, and professional) to their work in the program.
  • Explore the application of health professions education theories and activities in diverse settings.
  • Design and conduct educational research.
  • Apply health education concepts to their learning and teaching lives.


Does Queen’s offer a Doctorate in Health Professions Education?

No, Queen’s does not offer a doctoral program in Health Professions Education. We encourage you to explore options at other universities.

How much does it cost to take the program?

  • The annual Domestic Tuition Fee is $9,500.
  • The annual International Tuition Fee is $16,467.
  • The annual Program Fee is $1,600.


What does the annual Program Fee cover?

The annual Program Fee of $1,600 covers costs related (but not exclusive) to the two on-site in-person intensive weeks for the HPE 801 and HPE 805 courses.


How do I pay for the program?

Tuition fees are paid to the Office of the University Registrar (OUR).  For information on payment methods, please click on the following link

The annual $1,600 Program Fee, which is separate from and in addition to tuition, covers costs related (but not exclusive) to the on-site intensive sessions (HPE 801 & HPE 805). Information regarding payment of this fee is sent to learners upon acceptance into the program.


Is the program OSAP eligible?

As a professional part-time program, the Master of Health Professions Education program is not eligible for Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) funding.


Are there any bursaries or funding opportunities I can apply for?

We do not offer any funding support. We encourage applicants/learners to investigate scholarships/incentives through their place of employment and/or seek external sources of funding via their professional associations, grants, RRSPs, etc.

SEAMO-funded physicians may be eligible for funding through the Medical Education Development Program. Learn more on SEAMO's Funding Opportunities webpage.

I live in Kingston. Do I have to stay at the hotel for the intensive week? Will the Program Fee be decreased if I choose not to stay in the hotel?

Regardless of your current living situation, we highly recommend that students stay in the hotel to help accommodate evening group work, etc. Please note that the annual Program Fee remains the same for each student and cannot be decreased for any student choosing alternate sleeping arrangements.


Am I required to attend both intensive weeks outlined in the program, or am I only required to attend one?

You must attend both intensive weeks in person for HPE 801 and HPE 805.


Is there an option for distance (online) learning for the intensive weeks?

No, in-person attendance in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, is mandatory for both intensive weeks.


Does an international student need a Visa to attend the intensive weeks?

International students will need to obtain a study permit, according to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Since the program is longer than six months, a study permit is required even though you will only be attending in person for one week each year in Canada.

Some countries also require a Visa to enter Canada; please get in touch with the Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) to speak to an International Student Adviser for advice.




Telephone:          613-533-2604


Will the Program Fee be refunded if I drop out of the program after participating in an intensive week?

The annual $1,600 Program Fee will not be refunded to learners if they drop out of the program after participating in the intensive week course(s).


Where can I go to learn more about the MHPE Program?

Check out our program and learn about updates on our website. You can also contact us by email at or by phone at 613-533-6000 (x 78600) if you have more questions or wish to connect with alumni.

Have more questions?