Dr. Avi Parush
Graduate Student Supervision
I am currently accepting PhD students in the area of Health Quality for co-supervision.
HQRS 846 Human Factors in Healthcare
- General topics: Human factors, Human Computer Interaction, Usability
- Specific topics: Teamwork in healthcare, use of technology in healthcare, patient safety, situational awareness, patient empowerment
- (a) Authored books
- Parush, A., Campbell, C., Hunter, A., Ma, C., Calder, L., Worthington, J., Abbott, C., & Frank, J.R. (2011). Situational Awareness and Patient Safety. Ottawa, ON, Canada: The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. ISBN: 978-1-926588-10-0.
- Parush, A. (2015). Conceptual Design in Interactive Systems. Morgan Kaufmann. ISBN: 9780124199699.
- Parush, A., Parush, D. & Ilan, R. (2017). Human Factors in Healthcare: A Field Guide to Continuous Improvement. Morgan & Claypool Publishers. ISBN: 9781627059442
- (b) Recent refereed papers in professional journals
- Varpio, L., Day, K., Elliott-Miller, P., Kuziemsky, C., King, J., Parush, A., Roffey, T., Rashotte, J. (2015). The Impact of Adopting EHRs: How Losing Connectivity Effects Clinical Reasoning. Medical Education, 49(5):476-486.
- McMullan, A., Parush, A., & Momtahan, K. (2015). Transferring Patient Care: Patterns of Synchronous Bi-Disciplinary Communication Between Nurses and Physicians During Handoffs in a Critical Care Unit. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, 30 (2), 92-104.
- Foster-Hunt, T., Parush, A., Ellis, J., Thomas, M, & Rashotte, J. (2015). Information Structure and Organization in Change of Shift Reports: An Observational Study of Nursing Hand-offs in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. Intensive & Critical Care Nursing, Vol. 16, issue 1, pp. 47-57.
- Varpio, L., Rashotte, J., Day, K., King, J., Kuziemsky, C., Parush, A. (2015). The EHR and Building the Patient’s Story: A Qualitative Investigation of How EHR Use Obstructs a Vital Clinical Activity. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 84 (12), 1019-1028.
- Ackerman, R., Parush, A., Nassar, F., & Shtub, A. (2016). Metacognition and system usability: Incorporating metacognitive research paradigm into usability testing. Computers in Human Behavior, Volume 54, Pages 101–113
- Estemad, A. Arya, A., Parush, A., DiPaola, S. (2016). Perceptual Validity in Animation of Human Motion. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds, Vol. 27 (1), 58-71.
- Rashotte, J., Varpio, L., Day, K., Kuziemsky, C., Parush, A., Elliott-Miller, P., King, J., & Roffey, T. (2016). Mapping Communication Spaces: The Development and Use of a Tool Analyzing the Impact of EHRs on Interprofessional Collaborative Practice. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 93, 2-13.
- LA Calder, G Mastoras, M Rahimpour, B Sohmer, B Weitzman, AA Cwinn, T Hobin, A Parush. (2017). “Team communication patterns in emergency resuscitation: a mixed methods qualitative analysis”. International Journal of Emergency Medicine, 10:24.
- A Parush, G Mastoras, A Bhandari, K Momtahan, K Day, B Weitzman, B Sohmer, A Cwinn, SJ Hamstra, L Calder. (2017). “Can teamwork and situational awareness (SA) in ED resuscitations be improved with a technological cognitive aid? Design and a pilot study of a team situational display”. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 76, 154-161.
- Reychav, I., Parush, A., McHaney, R., Hazan, M., & Moshonov, R. (2018). The use of mobile technology in waiting rooms to leverage women’s empowerment: A conceptual context. Health Informatics Journal, Volume 24 Issue 3, 277-292.
- Calder, L.A., Bhandari, A., Mastoras, G., Day, K., Momtahan, K., Falconer, M., Weitzman, B., Sohmer, B., Cwinn, A., Hamstra, S.J., Parush, A. (2018). Healthcare providers’ perceptions of a situational awareness display for emergency department resuscitation: a simulation qualitative study, International Journal for Quality in Health Care, Volume 30, Issue 1, Pages 16–22.
- Luko, L., Parush, A., Matanes, E., Lauterbach, R., Tailtler, A., Lowenstein, L. (2020). An Efficient Single-Session Spatial Skill Trainer for Robot-assisted Surgery: A Randomized Trial. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, Volume 27, Issue 3, March–April 2020, Pages 728-737.e2.
- Westphal M, Yom-Tov GB, Parush A, Carmeli N, Shaulov A, Shapira C, Rafaeli A. (2020). A Patient-Centered Information System (myED) for Emergency Care Journeys: Design, Development, and Initial Adoption, JMIR Form Res 2020;4(2):e16410, DOI: 10.2196/16410
- Habouba-Belinky, I. and Parush, A. (In Press). Simulator-Triggered Debriefing Facilitates Team Cognition and Performance in Simulator-Based Training. Journal of Interactive Learning Research
- Parush, A., Haim, N., Jaffe, E., & Wacht, O. (In Press). Design and Test of a Graphic Medication Dosage Calculator in Paramedic Practice with Children. Pediatric Emergency Care.
- Parush, A., Wacht, O., Gomes, R., & Frenkel, A. (In Press). Human Factors Considerations in Using Personal Protective Equipment in the COVID-19 Pandemic Context: A Bi-national Survey Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research.
- (c) Refereed papers in conference proceedings
- Parush, A. (2015). Cross-channel conceptual design. The Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computer Systems, pages 2453-2454, ACM Press.
- Parush, A., Momtahan, K., Kramer, C., Sohmer, B., Mastorias, G. & Calder, L. (2015). Twelve tips to designing a situation display for the healthcare team. In the Proceedings of the International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care, Vol. 4, no. 1 188-193.
- Goubran, L., Parush, A., Whitehead, A. (2016). Modelling Information Flow and Situational Awareness in Wild Fire Response Operations. HCI International 2016, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 9735, pp. 11-19.
- Luko, L., Parush, A., Lowenstein, L. (2017). Cognitive Task Analysis of Spatial Skills in Hysterectomy with the Da-Vinci Surgical System. In the proceedings of the 13th IASTED International Conference on Biomedical Engineering, February 2017, Austria, p. 100-107.
- Luko, L. & Parush, A. (2017). Targeted Cognitive Training of Spatial Skills: Perspective Taking for Robot Teleoperation. In the proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Spatial Information Theory, pp. 12:1 - 12:13, Leibniz-Zentrum für Informatik, Dagstuhl Publishing, Germany.
- Parush, A., Hazan, M., & Shtekelmacher, D. (2017). Individuals perform better in teams but are not more aware – Performance and situational awareness in teams and individuals. To appear in the Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, 61st Annual Meeting.
- Parush, A. (2019). Designing health information for mutual empowerment in the joint journey of patients and healthcare professionals. In Improving Usability, Safety and Patient Outcomes with Health Information Technology, Series: Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, Vol. 257, pp. 341-345. Eds. Francis Lau, John A. Bartle-Clar, Gerry Bliss, Elizabeth M. Borycki, Karen L. Courtney, Alex Mu-Hsing Kuo, Andre Kushniruk, Helen Monkman, Abdul Vahabpour Roudsari. IOS Press.
- Efrat, M., Parush, A., Hartman, C., & Elenberg, Y. (2019). A mobile game to educate and empower children with recently diagnosed Celiac Disease. In Proceedings of Workshop on Interactive Systems in Health'19, SIGCHI2019 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Parush, A., Laendler, S., Springer, A, Libkind, R., & Jaffe, E. (2020). Predictive situation display for emergency medical services: Situational awareness in multi-casualty incidents. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Cognitive Situation Management (COGSIMA2020).