fbpx What we can accomplish together in the years ahead through discovery, harmony & equity | Faculty of Health Sciences | Queen's University | Faculty of Health Sciences | Queen's University Skip to main content

To become Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) at Queen’s University is one of the greatest honours of my life. Being the first woman to hold this position is especially meaningful. I want to thank Dr. Richard Reznick for his amazing 10 years of service as Dean. He has accomplished so much and has kindly provided me with a great orientation to get started.

At the dawn of this five-year commitment, I reflect on what could be accomplished in partnership with the students, faculty, and staff of this historic institution, in the years ahead. So, in my very first blog post as Dean, I want to explore three words – Discovery, Harmony, Equity – and discuss what can be accomplished if we focus together on these three concepts.

Discovery: Advancing Research

Working with the great team we have in place, I intend to put a big emphasis on advancing research in FHS, doing so in collaboration with amazing scientists at Queen’s and beyond. We’ll reaffirm our areas of research strength and make sure more people know about the great discoveries revealed via Queen’s research quests. I would like to bring in new partners and expanded resources to push ourselves further. If you have ideas on this, please share them with me in the coming weeks.

To advance research at FHS, we need an ethos of curiosity, creativity, and courage. Our institution should be a safe, nurturing place for people to absorb what is already known and build on that knowledge with new discoveries. Lifelong learning happens when we interact, ask hard questions and actively wrestle with the most pressing problems of the day.

Let’s model best practices in health research for the 21st century. This means being inclusive, interprofessional, transparent and collaborative. It means working across faculties to use the most powerful tools of both science and the arts. It means clearly demonstrating how Queen’s research will improve the lives of Canadians as well as people beyond our borders. I’m committed to being a discovery champion, building on the exceptional work of Queen’s researchers and helping imaginative and talented people to do even more.

Harmony: Integrating Health Systems

One of the chronic challenges in healthcare is the terrible fragmentation of health systems. Fragmented care costs money and it costs lives. In my experiences as a family doctor, an academic and a policy maker, I’m convinced of this: institutions that show how to harmonize health systems – with the patient at the centre and rooted in primary care – will be the leaders of the future. This includes solving the dilemma of cyber-silos of health data and seamlessly linking hospital and community care.

Queen’s, Kingston, and the surrounding region are perfectly suited to demonstrate this ideal. One of the fantastic features of this community is the existence of SEAMO, the Southeastern Ontario Academic Medical Organization, of which I’m delighted to be the new CEO. For 25 years, SEAMO has enabled robust cooperation across specialties and an ability to support the academic mandate of clinicians in the area. We can build on this unique model and consider other ways health systems can better integrate across the region. Within Kingston and throughout the southeast region, we can ensure that no one is left without high quality health care.

With Schools of Medicine, Nursing and Rehabilitation Therapy already well aligned, Queen’s can continue to lead the way and push the boundaries of interprofessional research, education, and care. From the beginning of my career in Niger, West Africa where I trained village health workers, to my experiences in the federal government where I advocated for a broad range of health professionals, I am convinced of the necessity of harmonious teamwork in the health workforce. The model of Faculty of Health Sciences is the best way to educate health professionals and we can do even more to demonstrate the benefits of interprofessional care.

Equity: Being fair and inclusive

As a leader in the education of health professionals in the exceptional year of 2020, my greatest obligation to students and to society, is to be fair and inclusive. There is no doubt that systemic racism, sexism, and colonialism exist in Canadian institutions. Many health care systems and academic institutions are structured in a way that perpetuates these forces. I recognize the unearned privilege that I have received from deep-seated patterns of injustice and I take full responsibility to work with others on changing these structures.

The correct response to recognizing privilege is not denial or guilt, it’s self-reflection and informed action. I am determined to move quickly on these matters. One of my first initiatives will be the formation of the Dean’s Action Table on Equity. This will be more than an academic exercise.  We will listen well, and we will take action.

Queen’s FHS can attract a student population that better reflects the diversity of Canada. Specifically, we can seek greater inclusion of Indigenous peoples and Black Canadians. Though FHS has already made progress in this area through the introduction of Indigenous admissions processes and the initiatives resulting from the acknowledgement of the ban on Black medical students, there is more to be done. This will require attention to our structural biases, so we can intentionally recruit and support more students and faculty from under-represented populations. We have more work to do on creating mentorships, adapting admission processes, and improving curricula. Queen’s FHS could be a leader in teaching about cultural safety, anti-racism, and anti-colonialism in the delivery of care. My vision is for us to become a centre of excellence on matters of equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility in the health professions.

I look forward to meeting you and working with you. Please reach out with advice or questions anytime. I believe we will learn an enormous amount together in the years ahead. Most of all, through my time as Dean, I hope that FHS will be a formidable force in bringing the world closer to the dream of health for all.

Related topics

H

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 11:08

A simple thought that could bring a lot of encouragement among under-represented population in FHS.

If we can gather 50$ a month from all of the staff in FHS and set up a scholarship or two for indigenous and black Canadians, which would not only foster their education and research but also send a strong message across, that we care. We need to recognize such individuals because there are hardly any, in FHS. Hopefully this will bring in more equitable growth in FHS.

H

Stephen McNevin

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 11:18

Hi Dr Philpott

Welcome to Queens. Your vision is most timely and your wisdom most appreciated. I look forward to to the coming years of change for the better. With Queens FHS you have a good foundation to build on- our faculty, staff, students and the patients and families we serve are hungry for the next step. With hope, skills and courage together we can make this a better world.

Stephen McNevin

Hi Stephen - thanks so much for your kind words. It's true that we have an amazing faculty, staff, student team along with an amazing community. So much we can do together.

Jane Philpott

Cortney Clark

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 11:26

Dear Dr. Philpott
Nia:wen kowa (thank you very much) for choosing to lead our Faculty into a better space for all students, staff and faculty. Your statements on harmony and equity are very much needed here at FHS. I look forward to the good work there is to be done in our future.
Cortney Clark, FHS Indigenous Access & Recruitment

Cortney Clark

Ant Train

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 11:39

Dear Dean Philpott,

I am very excited to learn of your plans for our FHS. I am new to Queen's and feel that this plan gives us great energy and motivation in being a thriving contributor to the solutions we want for Canada.

All the best in your new position - I think you have the toughest job in the whole school!

Ant Train

Ant Train

Colleen Davison

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 12:24

Welcome Dr. Philpott,
I am so encouraged by your words and by your appointment! Please know you have an ally in me and I will do what I can to support this drive towards discovery, harmony and equity at Queen's, in the FHS and in Kingston. Let us act now with respect, creativity and courage! Thank you for joining the FHS and being up to the task of leading us.
Colleen Davison, Departments of Public Health Sciences and Global Development Studies

Colleen Davison

Grace Lin

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 13:42

Welcome to Queen’s Dr. Philpott! Thank you for sharing your plans and for having such a strong vision for the FHS. I look forward to being a part of this movement of change under your leadership!

Regards,
Grace Lin

Grace Lin

Susan Bartels

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 16:15

Wishing you a very warm welcome to Queen's! As a physician and global health researcher, I am excited about your vision and commitment to equity. Looking forward to supporting you and your work.
Susan Bartels

Susan Bartels

Don Braden Meds'59

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 16:17

Welcome to Queen's and the Faculty of Heath Sciences. I am sure the various schools will thrive with your guiding hand. It is a great pleasure to welcome someone who very recently was practicing on the very front line during this pandemic My best wishes for your time here at Queen's.

Don Braden Meds'59

Hi Don - thanks for a lovely message. You're right about experience on the front lines being a great asset as we continue our academic work. Thanks for your good wishes. - Jane

Jane Philpott

Dwight Ferris, Queen's Meds'96

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 16:27

Welcome to the FHS at Queen's Dr. Philpott. As a Queen's Meds alumni and practicing infectious diseases consultant in Kelowna, you arrive to a long history of teaching health care professionals in Kingston and SE Ontario and will lead your Faculty into a more inclusive, kind and supportive community. As an alumni member of the Queen's community and also a part of the LGBTQ family, I have know discrimination but also acceptance and support from Queen's FHS while I was in medical school under the leadership of Dr. Sinclair. As we face the pandemic in solidarity as a global community, let us all show each other compassion, kindness and acceptance particularly as a unified Queen's family to dispel discrimination and racism in all its forms! We are truly better together! Welcome and best wishes - stay safe and be well! Dwight Ferris MD, FRCPC Queen's Meds '96

Dwight Ferris, Queen's Meds'96

Hi Dwight. This is a really great message. Thanks for sharing your own experience. I'm glad to hear that you experienced acceptance and support. But you're right that discrimination and racism do exist in health institutions across the country and they have to be ended. I heartily support your call for compassion, kindness and acceptance. Hope all is well in Kelowna!

Jane Philpott

We are doing well in Kelowna and BC in general - keeping the COVID-19 epi curve flat - in containment mode - thanks to the BC and Canadian public and the leadership of our Public Health officials Drs Teresa Tam and Bonnie Henry - "Be kind, be calm and be safe!" - Spread the word (not the virus) to the Queen's community Dr. Philpott!

Dwight Ferris, Queen's Meds'96

Great comment Dwight. Welcome to the team Jane!
I am hoping that you can also not forget to dedicate some of your time to implementing an innovative program to help traditionally underrepresented populations enter the field of medicine. UofT, Alberta, Ottawa and Saskatchewan have all implemented something.

Denise Williams

Thanks Denise -- We all are better to embrace and support each other's differences - particularly those who have been under-represented! Wave the rainbow of colour and diversity!

Dwight Ferris, Queen's Meds'96

Dr. Skye Barbic

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 17:07

Wishing you the warmest welcome to K-town. We were so lucky to spend ten years at Queen's, start our family, and be a part of this community. As an alumni to Queens and your team....I can't imagine a better fit for the Faculty of Heath Sciences. Good luck in your new role and hoping to reconnect one day soon.
Skye

Dr. Skye Barbic

Bill Moore Meds '62

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 17:40

All the best Dean JP as you pursue your primary objectives of discovery, harmony and equity at Queen's FHS! I look forward to future updates on student teaching/training in various departments/programs and am especially pleased to see from Blog comments that there is/are Departments of Public Health Sciences and Global Development Studies. Could they be developed eventually to become a full School of Public Health as an integral part of health leadership at Queen's? I hope so.

Bill Moore, MD, MPH

Bill Moore Meds '62

Hi Bill - thanks for your note - and for your enthusiasm on public health. It is a great strength in the Queen's community and I agree that we can do even more in the years to come. All the best to you.
- Jane

Jane Philpott

Hi Olaf - thanks for this message and for highlighting the article about the fundamentals for Osler's "great physician." It looks very interesting!

Jane Philpott

Ty Turner MEDS 71

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 19:37

Welcome aboard Dean Philpott
As a meds student during the 60's, I was inspired by some typical 60's experiences. These included a stint in the Queen's outreach to Moose Factory from where we visited remote fly-in communities and saw both the vulnerability and resilience of indigenous people. As students, we established a student-run(but faculty suppported) community health centre in the underserved north end of Kingston. There were some remarkable pioneering collaborations between psychiatry and addictions. One such program involved a therapeutic community on a farm. These were formative experiences, which continue to influence my medical practise.
I hope we continue to support such imaginative and inspiring ventures.
Best wishes for a successful and rewarding term.

Ty Turner MEDS 71

Hi Ty - thanks for a great message. You probably know that the partnership with Moose Factory continues to this day and we hope to expand it even further. I agree that these formative experiences are essential for educating well-rounded health professionals. Thanks for your encouragement.

Jane Philpott

stephen archer

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 21:00

Welcome to Queen's Dr. Philpott (Jane). I enjoyed your blog, I look forward to working with you to help you realize your vision. These are all principles and goals that resonate with us in the Department of Medicine. You are always welcome in the DOM!

stephen archer

Hi Stephen - I appreciate your amazing leadership of the DOM and I appreciate the positive feedback. I very much look forward to working with you and your team on these principles and goals.
Thanks for all you're doing for our community.
- Jane

Jane Philpott

Danielle Nelson; Meds 2017

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 21:49

So excited for your vision to breathe new life into the Faculty of Health Sciences and to come to fruition in the coming years. Glad my alma mater is in great hands! Warmest of welcomes Dr. Philpott!

Danielle Nelson; Meds 2017

Klodiana Kolomitro

Mon, 07/06/2020 - 23:12

The sky is the limit when we embrace and actively work towards "discovery, harmony, and equity". Looking forward to supporting you Dr. Philpott in enacting your/our collective vision for FHS, Queen's, Kingston community, and beyond.

Klodiana Kolomitro

Donald Forsdyke, Emeritus Professor, Department of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences

Tue, 07/07/2020 - 08:31

Thank you for your commitment to being a "discovery champion". Queen's said to be one of Canada's research-intensive universities. Yet, in pandemic times, when time is of the essence, we do not have immediate download access to leading biomedical journals, such as the Journal of Immunology. Some rethinking of budgetary priorities is required. Great universities have great libraries!

Happily I have now managed to get immediate access to the Journal of Immunology!! And a journal I had a problem with, due to a six month embargo, the Journal of Experimental Medicine, is now available. Great work Queen's library staff! Great work Queen's admin! Great universities really do have great libraries!

Donald Forsdyke

Danielle Blouin, Professor, FHS (Emergency Medicine) and Faculty of Education

Tue, 07/07/2020 - 10:18

Welcome to Queen's Dean Philpott. I look forward to contributing to the realization of your vision for FHS.

Danielle Blouin, Professor, FHS (Emergency Medicine) and Faculty of Education

Don Jennings, Med's '57.

Tue, 07/07/2020 - 11:11

Welcome to Queen's. A good beginning in the pandemic. More unknowns to conquer.

Don Jennings, Med's '57.

Bren Melles

Tue, 07/07/2020 - 11:59

Welcome Dr. Philpott! We have been waiting for you. I'm encouraged by your choice of these three words - discovery, harmony, equity - and am committed to walk alongside you and others in our university toward these goals. I hope you find Queen's and Kingston to be fertile soil, to deepen roots but also grow and produce new fruit that demonstrates this vision. Warm regards - Bren Melles, Senior Program Officer and Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Public Health Sciences.

Bren Melles

Hi Bren - what a lovely message. Thanks! I have already found Queen's and Kingston to be highly welcoming and I believe we can get great work done together. Thanks for your encouragement.

Jane Philpott

Dr Terry Carscadden BA MD Meds’ 64

Thu, 07/09/2020 - 16:09

Dear Dr Philpott
You must be getting writer’s cramp replying to these wonderful messages!
I am thrilled that you have stepped up from politics. Queen’s is so fortunate to have such an experienced person (and a woman) of such ability and integrity at one of the best universities in the world!
One lesson that I learned of many, from one of the physicians who I don’t remember, is “listen to the patient, he/she is telling you the diagnosis”. It works wonders!
Kind Regards
Terry

Dr Terry Carscadden BA MD Meds’ 64

Hi Terry - well you're clearly an empathetic physician, worrying about me and my writer's cramp! It's a nice problem to have - responding to so many lovely messages :) Thanks for your kind words. The lesson you described is so true. I believe it's originally ascribed to William Osler. Words of wisdom to remember! All the best, Jane.

Jane Philpott

Karen Schultz

Fri, 07/10/2020 - 16:24

A warm welcome to Kingston (and I don’t just mean the current weather!). Having graduated from Queen’s Medical School and the Department of Family Medicine in the 80’s, followed by years of being a Family Physician in the Department of Family Medicine I can say Queen’s and Kingston have many fine things to offer. I hope your time here is rewarding. Over the past year I have had the privilege of co-chairing a working group (set up by Dr. Reznick and under the guidance of Drs. Green, Sanfilippo and Walker) looking at the hidden curriculum in the Queen’s School of Medicine. We have had some deeply insightful feedback from our medical students, residents, and faculty about how to create just the harmonized environment that will set us up to be the leaders of the future that you have articulated so nicely. We will be presenting our report to you shortly and greatly look forward to working with you on this—it is such a nice alignment with the ideals you have expressed in your blog. Cheers.

Karen Schultz

Hi Karen. Nice to hear from you - thanks for introducing yourself. I'm really eager to see the results of your working group on the hidden curriculum. Thanks for your work on that. I look forward to meeting you soon.

Jane Philpott

Dianne Delva

Sat, 07/11/2020 - 11:04

Dear Jane, Welcome to Queen's. Nick and I returned home in the last few years and I hope you will soon feel at home here. It is a challenging time but I know you are up to it. Please let us know how we can help. All the best Dianne

Dianne Delva

Add new comment

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.