Earning MAINPRO+ CreditsMAINPRO+® (Maintenance of Proficiency) is the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) program designed to support and promote the continuous professional development for family physicians.
Counting Mainpro+ towards 5-year-cycle requirements
- Members of the CFPC are required to report a minimum of 125 Mainpro-M1 and/or Mainpro-C credits in every five-year cycle.
- Mainpro-C credits are counted as equal to Mainpro-M1 credits with regard to meeting the Maintenance of Proficiency requirement of 125 credits: members may fulfill the requirements with all Mainpro-M1 credits, all Mainpro-C credits, or a combination of the two.
- For each Mainpro-C credit earned, the CFPC awards a bonus Mainpro-M1 credit. As such, members get “two for the price of one” by earning Mainpro-C credits.
- Members who participate in Mainpro-C-accredited activities may claim only Mainpro-M1 credits if they prefer.
- If a participant does not complete the post-program reflective activity (a requirement of all Mainpro-C-accredited activities), the participant is only eligible to claim Mainpro-M1 credits.
NEW As of January 2013
- Family physicians must acquire a minimum of 25 credits per year. These can be a combination of all three types of Mainpro credits Mainpro M1, Mainpro M2 and Mainpro C. A minimum of 250 over a 5-year cycle is still required.
- Online reporting will be required.
The College of Family Physicians of Canada is pleased to announce that the official launch of the new MAINPRO+® platform will take place on June 27, 2016. The new online reporting platform will make accessing your credit summary, completed activities, in-progress activities, and official transcripts, much easier.
The CFPC is making some significant changes to Mainpro, based on member recommendations, to help all Mainpro participants meet their changing learning requirements. The system changes will also ensure that the appropriate mechanisms are in place to allow Mainpro to evolve and improve over time. We understand that change can be challenging at times and want to ensure all our members have a successful transition to Mainpro+.
The way you earn and report CPD credits is changing
- Reporting categories that are easier to understand
- Opportunities to earn credit for more practice activities
- Opportunities to earn 1, 2, or 3 credits per hour with more activities and programs
- New user-friendly online reporting portal
We're keeping what works well...
- Five-year reporting cycle
- Minimum 25 credits required per year
- Minimum 250 credits required per cycle
- Minimum 125 credits required per cycle from certified CPD programs
- Easy online reporting
Please see the Introduction to MAINPRO page for more information on CME credit requirements for CFPC members.