Dr. Adrian Baranchuk recognized as one of 10 most influential Hispanic Canadians
Published Fri Dec 16th 2016
One of Canada’s leading experts in cardiology, Queen’s University professor Adrian Baranchuk has been named one of the TD Bank's 10 most influential Hispanic Canadians by the Hispanic Business Alliance. The awards recognize community members who demonstrate influence in education, achievements, volunteerism and/or entrepreneurship.
This is the 10th Anniversary of the award, and this year, the Secretary General of the Organization of American States (OAS), Luis Almagro has been invited to deliver the awards during the ceremony in Toronto.
“This is truly one of the greatest honours I have received in my life,” says Dr. Baranchuk. “To be recognized as a leader is humbling and unexpected. I came to Canada with virtually nothing but I’ve worked very hard to establish myself. Canada, and its health care system have facilitated my integration into a new medical culture and has allowed me to develop into the professional that I am today.”
A native of Buenos Aires, Argentina, Dr. Baranchuk earned his MD from the University of Buenos Aires in 1990. After beginning to build his profile as a cardiologist-electrophysiologist, Dr. Baranchuk immigrated to Canada in 2003. In September 2003, Dr. Baranchuk was appointed as a clinical fellow in electrophysiology at McMaster University. He joined the division of cardiology at Queen’s in June of 2006.
In 2007, he created the Electrophysiology Training Program – a two-year program at Queen’s which teaches physicians from around the world new and sophisticated techniques to treat and cure cardiac arrhythmias. The program has attracted physicians from Canada, the United Kingdom, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, Emirates, Pakistan, Turkey, Dominican Republic and Ireland.
Dr. Baranchuk also founded and led the Broadcasting ECG Rounds to South-eastern Ontario (BESO project) – a program which allows Ontario physicians and students to join weekly training sessions in electrocardiology at Queen’s. His last iBook called Electrocardiography in practice: What to do? was released in iTunes in June 2016. The free application, which has been downloaded more than 1,000 times, is designed to teach electrocardiography in an interactive way.
Through these teaching programs, Dr. Baranchuk has mentored more than 40 medical students, 40 internal medicine residents and many more cardiology residents, fellows and colleagues from Queen’s and overseas. Dr. Baranchuk now serves as the head of the Kingston General Hospital Heart Rhythm Service.
“Being named one of the most influential Hispanic Canadians is a true honour and recognizes Dr. Baranchuk’s talent and drive,” says Dr. Steven Liss, Vice-Principal (Research). “Not only is he a leading cardiologist, Dr. Baranchuk is a motivator in our community and has worked tirelessly to ensure young students and young doctors achieve their potential.”
Dr. Baranchuk is currently the Vice President of the Inter American Society of Cardiology (IASC). He leads the IASC Academy which allows trainees from Latin America to attend courses and observerships in top centers of North America. Dr Baranchuk is the President Elect of the International Society of Electrocardiology and in this role, he engages colleagues and researchers from the region in educational and research activities.
Dr. Baranchuk says his life, both past and present, have driven him to his present successes. “I am obligated to give back because I am truly blessed in my life,” he says with a smile. “About 80 per cent of the people living in Latin America have no chance to pursue their dreams but I represent the 20 per cent that are lucky, that are blessed. This means I need to help others reach their dreams and goals. I am passionate about that.”
The OAS consists of the 35 independent states of the Americas, including Canada and the United States, and constitutes the main political, juridical, and social governmental forum in the Northern Hemisphere. The four main pillars include democracy, human rights, security and development.